Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Fatness

Couple of odd things this week

  • Found out why I ended up 2nd Sat and not 1st-I ate too much and had extra weight in my belly for the sprint. Had I eaten less I would have won apparently
  • I am fat. My cheekbones do not jut out like the other French racers and I enjoy eating
  • Apparently I do not train enough because I do not train upwards of 30 hours in a week like everyone else
  • There is no benefit to intervals-long, slow miles are how you get faster
  • I was chastised for eating on a 3 hour ride today, this contributes to my fatness
  • My stem is way too short, I need at least a 130 to make my back more flat on the bike, Americans have incorrect bike setups
  • Drinking milk is going to make me fat and slow. If I drink milk it will make legs cramp with lactic acid too
  • Again drinking Orange Juice is going to give me lactic acid
  • If I eat eggs for breakfast I must train minimum 5 hours to burn them off or else it contributes to my fatness
  • 1 coffee is ok every now and then, but 2 coffees in a day will make me slow
  • It is ok to put the American in the gutter on team training rides
  • Also ok, to leave the American in the wind for extra time in training, half wheel and ride offset to put him in the wind a little bit more
  • lastly, in racing everyone on the team is looking for good results to keep moving up the chain, so its acceptable to chase the break with the American in it.
These are just a few things I learned this week, but if anyone really knows me, trust me I am neither fat nor do I believe I have a bad diet, just cultural differences. Had a awesome argument over nutrition the other day. Stay tuned for the "optimal" french diet leading up to a grand race, the race and post race. It is going to blow your mind. The riding has been quite interesting as of late, spent today in a constant rain/hail storm for 3 hours and godawful wind. Certainly looking forward to some nice weather where I am not washing bike after every ride and trying to dry everything out everynight.

6 comments:

  1. Ditto above. It's a good thing you're not TOO young and naive ;-) Keep up the great riding and blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they also tell you to hollow out your baguette and only eat the crust, then wash it down with a sip of coffee and some nasty cheese (we used to refer to it as old lady belly roll cheese or fat man triple chin cheese) for the optimum breakfast before 180 k's of in the gutter racing? It's good to see nothing has changed since 1990 when I was over there. Keep your chin up and keep kicking ass. The other riders might take a sip of milk if they see you standing on the podium a few more times. Just remember, one season of this and you are going to be tough as nails. Also try to remember to try to sneak out to Paris for some fun every once in a while. Were pulling for you!
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slack,

    Pez interviewed a young French pro (forgot which one) who had been riding for FdJ I believe and he said that they would train for five/six hours and then eat a dry salad. He always felt flat (shocking!). This year he's riding for a Belgian team and after his first five hour ride with them, they had a feast. Needless to say, he is feeling better than ever this spring. Maybe that explains why the French don't win too many (or any) PT/GT races.

    You obviously know that you need balanced nutrition to fuel your body if you want to do well.

    Are these guys who are questioning your food choices the same ones who smoke to open their lungs?...'nuf said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The French don't seem to be a very logical sort. I mean, how many French riders have you beat in the races you've done so far? All these rules don't seem to help all those guys much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lay off the smoothies Erik!

    Enjoy reading the posts... keep'em coming and keep on racin'!

    -Jeff Hale

    ReplyDelete