Monday, March 29, 2010

recap of weekend

Well, on Friday evening watching the news, it was explained that a huge front had just moved in and was going to be around for a couple 4-5 days. Already, it was dumping cats and dogs and about 5 degrees. I was most certainly not jazzed at all about racing in this.

Jump to Sat. morning and lining up with the other 140 folks and we are all sitting in vehicles or vans until the last possible moment to depart because we want to spend as little time in the cold wet weather. I was told that a breakaway was key today and I needed to be a part of it. It was insane, I could not see more than 10 meters ahead of me, the road is about wide enough for 3-4 cyclists and we are racing full gas from town to town and countryside in between. Well, I worked my ass off to get in the break, but one went without me, bummer. I eventually bridged with one other guy to the break after 15 minutes of wanting to puke, I have never gone that hard in my life, but god dammit I was going to be in the break today! With the 2 of us that made ten altogether. yada yada yada, race and at the finish I ended up second in the sprint and lost to a guy who comes from a sprint background on that track-go figure. As a side note, I also got second place on the day for the daily KOM comp.

Sunday was more of the same. A 10 Km loop, half in town and half on the narrow winding country lanes in the countryside. I awoke to even harder rain today and knew it was going to be hard. Once again the break was going to be pivotal today and I worked so hard to make it, but it was not to be. With two major climbs on the circuit, that made two major descents and I cannot tell you how many wrecks I saw. Wheels would just slide out from underneath and the latest that I had heard was 6 or 7 collarbones broken yesterday. I can honestly say that yesterday was one of the most miserable, cold and wet days that I have ever had in my life. The cold rain seeped into your legs making them feel like chunks of leads, you would will your hands to shift but they would not work and good luck feeling your feet, they were gone after 10 minutes. I finished the day, something 2/3 of the field can't say, but I just rolled it in with a group, not willing to risk ending my season early for tenth place.

I am quite happy with the weekend, hey, a podium is great and feel like I am learning more and more after each race. Got a few days to recover to get ready for the next bit of racing.

1 comment:

  1. Erik, congratulations! Great effort and placing. Keep it going, Russell

    ReplyDelete