Sunday, March 7, 2010

give a cm, they take a meter

Well where do I start. today was my first euro race and oh my god. I spent 4 hours staring at the wheel in front of me in god knows how many echelons. I knew it was going to be interesting-last night the news had bad weather coming in. Today it never got above 1 degree and the wind was a steady 75 km an hour. I can honestly say that I have never been this scared racing my bike before, but it made it go by quite quickly. I did spend many moments thinking today what the hell am i doing, but I am absolutely convinced that this is the best way to learn how to race in hellish conditions. I expected my first experience to be better, but from the bottom the only way out is up. Heres hoping to figuring out how to race in echelons better.

4 comments:

  1. Saw the article in the Statesman. My wife and I spent 9 months in Paris for work. You have probably already heard of the book "French or Foe". It is a really great book about experiences of an American in France that we found invaluable while we were there. Good luck and enjoy!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Slack, enjoy the experience! Don't bring all of that Euro fitness back and hurt us this fall!;)
    jm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erik, we saw the article in the Statesman today and I wanted to say how proud we are of you. It must have been the confirmation class with John that led you to the great space that you're at :)!! Just wanted you to know that folks at Hillview are thinking of you and wishing you the best. John and I are off to Africa this Sunday to visit Jessica for a few days in Senegal and then go on our own adventure in South Africa, Zambia. etc.
    Ride well and be good. Pam & John Lodal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article in the Statesman Erik. Sounds like it was quite a first race will all that you had to deal with including environmental conditions.
    Keep up the good work, it will all pay off.

    ReplyDelete