Thursday, May 13, 2010

Grey

Well, just got back from my race today, want to know what happened. I did not win, nor did I even make the podium. Bummer right, well yeah, it really is a bummer but I have no one to blame. My bike performed awesome, didn't miss a bottle nor did I wreck, I just plain missed the breakaway, simple as that. Oftentimes life and racing is seen as black and white, did you win or lose. But there is much more to that, the wonderful land of grey. Am I able to step back from today and see mistakes that I made, you bet I can, the biggest one is that I was just too timid in the race and not grabbing it by the horns and expecting some others to do some work. But, I did try and once I realized that the win was unattainable, the day became a workout. Something else to take away from the day that I can be happy with is that I did not give up. There were all the usual big teams racing today, teams of anywhere from 8-13 guys on the squad and then me and my teammate. These larger teams are able to control the races much easier and often get most of the results.Today the largest team around here, VC Rouen ended up winning the race and as today was the finish of the U23 series cup also won the overall of that. While I certainly tried today and came out without a result on paper, I did get a result in my eyes. After the race, 2 of their riders came up to me and congratulated me on my hard work on the day and for trying, something many other racers were not willing to do. So today, learned a few things, got in a hard workout and will try again this Sunday.

1 comment: