Friday, May 7, 2010

bike fit

Have had a nice couple of days fairly easy leading into another race tomorrow. As I have written about in previous posts lots of things seem to be backwards over here in France logic wise, Nutrition and training for the most part. I now have a new item to add to the list. Apparently, my bike fit or "position" is wrong and unfrench. What is wrong you ask, my saddle is too high, and my seat angle is all wrong and I am not stretched out enough on my bike. While these things seem like they would be pretty individual, apparently to my director there is an ideal template that racers need to be able to fit in. I do not fit that template and I am constantly reminded of it. While that is a bummer to always be nagged about something, nagging is just words, not actions. Well, compound that to heading out in the garage and finding the director with your bike and a level and hex keys and that becomes action. He says I Need to move my setup to be better and no amount of me saying, "I like this setup, has worked for me for years and I have no pain with it," will change his opinion. I am essentially speaking to a brick wall. Hopefully, this is just an empty threat and nothing more. Even worse yet, the team that my team feeds into is even worse, if you look at the teams' bikes, all the riders have the same setup-no spacers underneath headset, bars down as low as can be and saddles all level and as far back as can be. To the French, a very stubborn bunch I might add, what the pros do is the ideal. Even worse, reading the french version of Velonews is adding to all of this nonsense with nutrition and training advice that makes no sense from so called "experts in the field."

So lesson to learn is that I cannot leave my bike out of my control and keep all measurements taped so that if something does get moved it might be a bit easier to notice. Just one more thing to have to deal with. Hoping for a good ride tomorrow to continue to show folks that I know what I am doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment