Friday, August 6, 2010

Walking the Walk

So far, housesitting has been absolutely great. It must sound weird that I am enjoying having things to do each day, be it taking care of the yard, making sure that all the flowers in the garden get watered or just every day menial tasks. Why is this good you might wonder. Well, frankly, much of this past year over here I have been swimming in my thoughts where much of the time, the success of my day is based on whether or not my training was successful. Something that I have come to find is that with life there are always good days and not so good days, and my legs also adhere to the same principle. Thus, having the chance to do some other stuff has been great.

Though, you had to know one of these were coming right? Well, all year long, I have been on my directors schedule or his girlfriends schedule on getting into town. My little village neither has a bakery or grocery store thus I have to go into "the city" all 20,000 people of it. Bummer part, being that they have been gone all week and will be gone for just under 2 more weeks. Unfortunately, I am certainly missing a few key things in life that I have come to really appreciate.

The first is a car. With this wonderful invention, it is quite easy to get to where I need to be. I neither have one of these over here nor will I use someone elses. So I go onto the second best invention.

While I have my bike, it is quite nice and I would feel pretty horrible just leaving her outside of some store while I am in shopping for an hour or so. The best way to fix this would be to lock it up, but alas, I have no lock, my second key thing.

So, what is Erik left to do to get the ten kilometers to the grocery store. He has two pretty awesome legs to get there right. I can make the trek there in just under 2 hours and get as much as my backpack can fit and make the trek back home, normally that is just a bit over though. Little walks are nice, but I am not a huge fan of these undertakings. It is amazing how 4 hours walking and 4 hours riding can be so different. One is an eternity and one I look forward to all the time. Thankfully though once I have had someone stop and ask if I wanted a ride, that generosity was certainly appreciated. Lets now hope that I can keep on with that luck for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment