Saturday, August 28, 2010

Blunt Crayons

Got a good one for ya folks. Once again, the fun just keeps on rolling. Had myself a nice little ride this a.m. as I am getting ready to go race tomorrow. Nothing special, just a bike ride. But, mid ride I realized that I was out of bed and would need myself a baguette for lunch. I must say, when I return to America, the fact that I am not going to be able to run down to the boulangerie and grab myself a baguette or two is going to be pretty tough to swallow. There is just nothing that compares to a hot, fresh baguette and a bottle of nutella. It is a match made in heaven and can make the time go by so quickly. Sorry, where was I, I had to wipe the drool off the table there. Anyways, I pedaled on into town to go grab that baguette and before I knew it, BAM, someone is on the ground. No, I did not wreck but, I nailed and I mean nailed some dude walking across the street. This guy just walked out into the middle of the road from behind a car without even looking and I had myself about 2 seconds to do something. That something was realize that damn, this guy is going to get hit. My options were either drill him or well, that was the only option. Thankfully, I did not go down and had not a scratch on me, but when I actually composed myself to see if he was alright, all he kept saying was "why are you riding in the road?" What? Can you believe that, this guy walked out into the middle of the road where there was no crosswalk or anything without looking and got hit. When I asked him what would have happened had there been a car coming instead of a bike and he got hit then? He said that would not happen because he would hear a car coming and would not step out into the road. Had he been in a crosswalk I would have been paying attention for him, but given the situation, the last thing one expects is a idiot to step out in front of you. Fortunately, he was not injured and the people walking by that got to see it were treated to a bit of a funny moment for their Saturday morning. At least a few other people were heckling him at the same time for making such a retarded move. There is a reason there are crosswalks and everyone stops at them for pedestrians. At first I generally felt bad about hitting the guy even though he was at fault, but given how he acted I no longer feel bad for him at all. More than likely he has been hit a few times previously is my guess.

The whole time I was just chuckling to myself as a friend of mine, who will go unnamed nailed an old Belgian women earlier this year. At the time of that accident, myself and the other USA guys could not stop laughing when hearing about the details of his accident. This just goes to point out that across the board no matter what country you are in, you will encounter people that are not the sharpest crayons in the box.

But, back to the whole reason that I was in town, and if you were wondering, the baguette was quite amazing and made a wonderful sandwich. I would have taken a photo of it, but it was just too good to let it sit there idle, even for a few moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment