Thursday, September 2, 2010

Tools of the Trade

Done, capoot, finit. Yes folks, my season is over. I would have truly preferred to end my season on a high note, or at least not have a mechanical that would have allowed me to actually race my last weekend of racing. But, that is life and sometimes it doesn't work out like you thought it would. I have certainly learned a lot about racing this year, much more than I had ever learned in just 1 season alone. One of the things that really stands out to me however is the amount of wear and tear on my equipment there was this season. It was certainly more than I have ever had in years past. Here she is:

3 broken wheels

4 chains

5 sets of cables

4 derailleur hangers

2 sets of shifters

4 sets of tires

God knows how many tubes-way too many

2 rear derailleurs

2 broken shoes

3 completely ruined/shredded sets of kits

1 broken pair of sunglasses

2 ruined cassettes

Man, when did this get to be so expensive? While it is a bit of a bummer to look at this list and see how much stuff got ruined, I can say that what I learned along the way is impossible to put a price tag on as I continue to try to make a living out of this. Quite possibly the biggest thing that I have learned is that no matter how hard you work, or how much you want something-there are no certainties in this sport. Looking at where I want to go and what I need to do, there are thousands of people just like me trying to do the exact same thing. This just gives me even more motivation to do everything right this winter to get ready for next year.

But, I have a few things to do before that comes about. Excuse me, but I have a little bit more of sightseeing to do. I still have a few more cheese platters, oysters, mussels, and baguettes to eat and an unlimited supply of new wines that need to be tasted. Heading off to Paris in just a bit. I will let you know how it all went, but until then-ching.

No comments:

Post a Comment